[bittorrent] gd78-11-20.32488.mtx-s2.chappell.sb16a.sbeok.t-flac16

Automated Mailer noreply-bt.e at etree.org
Sat Apr 9 06:28:20 MDT 2011

Band:           Grateful Dead
Torrent Name:   gd78-11-20.32488.mtx-s2.chappell.sb16a.sbeok.t-flac16
Uploaded by:    germain
DB Link:        http://db.etree.org/shn/32488

Contact the seeder at http://db.etree.org/germain

This is a tagged version of shnid: 32489

GRATEFUL DEAD
11-20-78
Cleveland Music Hall
Cleveland, OH
gd78-11-20.mtx-set2.chappell.sb16a.32489.sbeok.flac16

Sick Bits Vol. 16a

Matrix: SBD/AUD mix

Sources:
SBD: (shnid=12947) Master SBD Cassette > Cassette > DAT > CD-R > EAC > SHN
     via Art Cohen?
AUD: (shnid=302) MAC>Reel>Reel>?>DATs>CDRs>EAC>SHN (thought to be Nak 300s)
     A/D by Dr. Rob Bertrando and encoded by Darrin Sacks - taper unknown,
     although Jack Warner confirms that it is not recorded by Hugh Barroll

Transfer/Editing:
Both sources were shn files downloaded from LMA and converted to
WAV > Vegas 5 (matrix) > WAV > CD Wave > FLAC 16 (level 8)

Matrixed by Chris Chappell
ScarFireATliquidcityDOTcom

--Set 2--
s2t01 - Jam ->
s2t02 -	Drums ->
s2t03 -	Jam->
s2t04 -	Jack-A-Roe
s2t05 -	Playin' in the Band ->
s2t06 -	Shakedown Street ->
s2t07 -	If I Had the World to Give ->
s2t08 -	Jam ->
2t09 -	Playin' Reprise ->
s2t10 -	Around & Around

Total Time: 65:08

General Notes:

When the LMA had to pull the SBDs, one source I never got was the updated
multiple SBD source (shnid=21727) that included the first set. Also mentioned
is the Scott Jones AUD which runs through Jack-a-roe but is not listed in the
db, and I have not seen either source circulate as of late (hint hint).  If
both sources surface I can then put together the first set as well, so for
now this fileset is Sick Bits Vol. 16a and the first set would be Vol. 16b
(I'm naming this fileset "a" hoping that there will be a "b").

This SBD is not that bad (fast though), but Jerry's tone gets very big when
coupled with the added dimension of the AUD, which, all in all, is fairly
decent for the time period.  The SBD has some holes and finally cuts for
good before the Playin' Reprise.

The first set is about 76 mins. in length whereas this second set is about 65
mins. without an encore.  One of the strangest second sets in terms of format,
song selection, and plain old jamming - they essentially start with Space and
play two distinctive jams (the second with Jerry using the Mutron) sandwiched
around Drumz before finally settling into Jack A Roe, a 17 month rezi, 8th
time played, only version of 1978, and only version which involves a segue.
After they stop playing after the Jack A Roe (the only break in the set),
Weir can clearly be heard on the SBD laying out the sequence: Playin >
Shakedown > World To Give > Playin (it's unclear if he mentions Round & Round)
- so this is very much planned, most likely because this is only the 5th
Shakedown (no reprise) and the third and final If I Had The World To Give.
Also, according to those that were there, Weir was ill for the early part of
this set, so they opened with "jam".

Thanks to whomever recorded the AUD, to Rob Bertrando for converting it to
digital, and Darrin Sacks for encoding and seeding it. Since the SBD source
is a mystery, thanks to all of you who had a hand in the lineage.

Enjoy!
Chappy

Tagging notes:
Show information is embedded within the header of each flac file.
It will display on any player capable of directly playing flac files.
If converted to wav during processing, all tags will be stripped,
however audio data will remain unaffected.
If you must transcode to a lossy format, do so directly Flac > Lossy.
Use sffp to validate audio integrity.
Md5 values will change if tagging is altered.
B. Proctor 7-28-08

LlaMA reviews:

"The Grateful Dead - yep....that's right.... enough said..."

"Take a careful look at that second-set list. Bobby got sick -- was missing
at the start of the set (hence the start with a jam) appeared briefly to
start Playing in the Band, vanished for the rest of the show, and then
reappeared to finish the show. We pestered Healy the next night in Rochester:
'What happened last night?'
'Aw...Bobby was sick as a dawg, throwing up in the dressing room...'"

"The whole [second] set just scorches. Has a very nice jazzy feel and a rare
(and in my opinion, the best version of) "World to Give". Get this show!"

"...favorite of mine since it was my first show..the beginning of the second
set with jam-drums-jam is without weir. what the problem was i don't know but
he doesn't join in until jackaroe. this venue was an excellent place to see
them because it was on the lake downtown and small with great acoustics."

"without a doubt the funkiest shakedown i have ever heard. very good
sandwiched between playin & world to give. get it for the unusual 2nd set.
the shakedown is for the ages. so funky it hurts."