[bittorrent] gd72-04-14 16-track source Pitch/Speed corrected

Automated Mailer noreply-bt.e at etree.org
Sun Jul 23 11:54:49 MDT 2006

Band:           Grateful Dead
Torrent Name:   gd72-04-14 16-track source Pitch/Speed corrected
Uploaded by:    shinyraven
DB Link:        http://db.etree.org/shn/76006

Contact the seeder at http://db.etree.org/shinyraven

Following is the original info file as posted by Charlie Miller:
(minus the original shntool output!!)

--snip--
Grateful Dead - April 14, 1972
Tivolis Koncertsal - Copenhagen, Denmark

Recording Info:
SBD -> (16 Track) Master Reel -> Dat (44.1k)

Transfer Info:
Dat (Sony R500) -> SEK'D Prodif Plus -> Samplitude Profesional v8.01 -> FLAC
(4 Discs Audio / 2 Discs FLAC)

All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller
charliemiller87 at earthlink.net
May 2, 2006

Patch Info:
FM -> Master Reel -> Cassette -> Cassette -> Dat -> CD supplies:
d1t08 - Me And Bobby McGee (patched from 5:08 - 6:20)
d1t09 - Cumberland Blues (patched from 0:00 - 0:37)
d1t09 - Cumberland Blues (patched from 1:23 - 3:29)
SBD -> Master Reel -> Cassette -> Dat -> CD supplies:
d3t01 - Dark Star (patched from 0:00 - 0:43)
d3t01 - Dark Star (patched from 18:01 - 22:48)
d3t03 - Good Lovin' (patched from 14:37 - 15:12)

Notes:
-- Thanks to Steve Rolfe for the Dat

Set 1:
d1t01 - Bertha
d1t02 - Me And My Uncle
d1t03 - Mr. Charlie
d1t04 - You Win Again
d1t05 - Black Throated Wind
d1t06 - Chinatown Shuffle
d1t07 - Loser
d1t08 - Me And Bobby McGee
d1t09 - Cumberland Blues
d1t10 - Playing In The Band
d1t11 - Tennessee Jed
d1t12 - El Paso
d1t13 - Big Boss Man
d2t01 - Beat It On Down The Line
d2t02 - Casey Jones

set 2:
d2t03 - Truckin'
d2t04 - It Hurts Me Too
d2t05 - Brown Eyed Women
d2t06 - Looks Like Rain
d3t01 - Dark Star ->
d3t02 - Sugar Magnolia ->
d3t03 - Good Lovin' ->
d3t04 - Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) ->
d3t05 - Who Do You Love? ->
d3t06 - Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) ->
d3t07 - Good Lovin'
d3t08 - Ramble On Rose
d4t01 - Not Fade Away ->
d4t02 - China Cat Sunflower Tease ->
d4t03 - Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad ->
d4t04 - Not Fade Away

Encore:
d4t05 - One More Saturday Night
--snip--

Note: Bert Slany, 07/23/2006

--All tracks suffered from speed/pitch slowness to different degrees:

	--disc 1: an average 1.8% slow
	--disc 2: also approx 1.8% slow
	--disc 3: an average 2.3% slow
	--disc 4: an average 3.5% slow

--I have no good explanation for why the speed/pitch offset varies between individual
  discs, but it does. (were these different DAT tapes, i.e. A/D transfers done with
  different hardware or at different points in time possibly by different individuals?)

--both patch sources are also affected by a speed/pitch offset, but to so small a
  degree that I did not try to fix it.

--logic as well as physics dictate that in the analog realm speed and pitch most
  likely vary together to proportional degrees. Anything else is the absolute
  exception. I.e. in this case a tape ran slow somewhere in the analog part of
  the lineage and thus yielded a low _and_ slow collection of tracks (I doubt the
  direct 16 track -> DAT). This can also be heard by the keen ear in the original
  transfer as a _speed_ difference between the patch sources and the 16 track
  source. In the analog realm one would therefore fix the the pitch of the show
  by e.g. letting the mixdown tape run faster, affecting both speed _and_ pitch.
  There are tools in almost every digital audio processing software to achieve
  just that in the digital realm. If you have grave concerns and don't follow the
  logic of this argument, you might want to consider preparing another fixed
  source.

--the lineage of the show is updated as follows:

  flac -> Adobe Audition 1.5 -> pitch/speed correction* -> flac -> TraLiHe -> sbe's fixed

  *To fix the slow pitch/speed of this show I loaded the individual tracks into Adobe
   Audition. I then used the following tool to work on the pitch/speed:
   "Effects" -> "Time/Pitch" -> "Stretch" -> "Constant Stretch" -> "Stretching Mode" set to
   "Resample (preserves neither [pitch nor tempo]) -> "Compress" to "Ratio" of choice -> "OK"

--To ascertain the correct "ratio" I used a six string tuned to concert pitch A=440
  Hz and "tuned the song" until I felt I had the correct pitch. I only ever used
  _one_ transformation step for tuning to the correct pitch/speed. The result is an
  even nicer sounding show.

--If one were so inclined, one could burn this show to three discs instead of four:

	--1st disc: d1t01-13 + d2t01
	--2nd disc: d2t02-06 + d3t01-02
	--3d disc: d3t03-08 + d4

--Thanks to Charlie Miller for supplying us with this beauty of a recording. Lots of
  dynamics and transparency galore in this one!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!
  ;-)