[bittorrent] Thomas Mapfumo - Joshua Tree MF - 5/21/06

Automated Mailer noreply-bt.e at etree.org
Mon Jul 3 16:54:11 MDT 2006

Band:           Other
Torrent Name:   Thomas Mapfumo - Joshua Tree MF - 5/21/06
Uploaded by:    matt23

Contact the seeder at http://db.etree.org/matt23

Thomas Mapfumo & Blacks Unlimited
Joshua Tree Music Festival
Joshua Tree, CA
May 21, 2006

Source: Sonic Studio DSM-6S Mics>Sonic Studios PA-6LC2 LoCut>Sony PCM-M1 DAT

Disc 1:
1) (07:50.17) - "Soundcheck"
2) (08:10.30)
3) (07:26.98)
4) (10:43.61)
5) (08:04.01)
Total: (42:15)

Disc 2:
1) (11:15.85)
2) (10:03.64)
3) (10:18.58)
4) (10:18.85)
5) (02:09.57) - Outro Jam
Total: (44:06)

Lineage: Sony PCM-M1 DAT>(Oade Digital Coaxial Transfer)>Tascam CD-RW402>EAC>FLAC

notes:
-from Festival guide: Musical innovator. Cultural warrior. Voice of the people.
freedom fighter. Thomas Mapfumo sang out against white rule in Rhodesia, then
against the corrupt Mugabe regime of Zimbabwe. He integrated the Mbira (thumb
piano) into his own musical style; Chimurenga (Shona, for struggle) Music. He's
shared the stage with Bob Marley and the Wailers in the capital, Harare. Two
landmark recordings for Chris Blackwell (Island records, U2, Mango records)
brought international acclaim. His concerts in Zimbabwe were extraordinary
communal experiences that would go from 8pm til dawn. As he faced more and more
limitations on his own musical freedom (he has been jailed and his songs banned
from Zimbabwe's state-dominated radio and press), Mapfumo moved to America. Few
musicians anywhere have been so consistently relevant to the lives of their
people as Thomas Mapfumo.
-I was about 30 feet from the stage, FOB, a bit to the right, mic stand 8 feet high
-This show was tremendous - literally blew my mind - 1st time I ever saw him. Will
make you want to jump up and dance in joy - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to anyone who likes
world music/African music at all - brilliant, enchanting music
-I would like to personally thank Barrett English & cohorts for this wonderful
festival and for allowing taping: unique line-up of mainly world-type music seperates
it from many of the other festivals on the circuit. Now, if we could only get the
wind to chill out a bit during the daytime acts (this set was thankfully at night)
-this is the last of my Joshua Tree recordings - hope you all enjoyed them as much
as I did